We use our phones every single day. They hold a wealth of personal data that would be disastrous if it were to fall into the wrong hands. That’s what makes hacking such a threat, and why we’re creating content like this to help people like you keep your devices protected.
To put it simply, a hack is when a third-party (it could be anyone) installs malicious software onto your device in order to steal data, monitor your activity or track your location. Nowadays a hacker doesn’t have to be a computer specialist – they can simply install software that’s commercially available on the internet.
Suffice to say, it’s much more accessible and much easier in general to hack someone’s phone.
So, in this guide, we’ll walk you through how to fix your phone if you find out you’ve been hacked.
Fixing hacked Android and iPhone devices is somewhat of a different process. In general, Android can be much more susceptible to hacking than iOS for a number of different reasons.
The easiest option is to install security software such as the Certo Mobile Security app, which will allow you to perform a full scan of your Android device and discover any installed spyware as well as giving you the tools to easily remove it.
On top of that, the app will also allow you to perform a scan of various settings on your device which could allow a hacker to more easily infiltrate your device in the future.
If all else fails, the last resort is to restore your phone to factory settings.
If you’ve got an iPhone or any other iOS device, your options are a bit more limited. This is because Apple do not allow security apps to scan their phones for malware as they can on Android phones. Fortunately, there are still actions you can take to fix a hacked iPhone.
Check your settings and update your iPhone or iPad. This is the easiest fix for most hacks available on iOS, as most will require your device to be jailbroken.
The first thing you should do is, of course, scan your device to ensure whether or not it has actually been hacked. You can use our Certo AntiSpy spyware scanner to completely scan your iPhone in order to easily determine if you’ve been the victim of a hack.
If you have been hacked, there are a few different things you need to do to fix your hacked iPhone:
- As mentioned above, if you can update your OS, then do so. This will remove any jailbreak on your device and the ability for any spyware using the jailbreak to continue stealing and monitoring your information.
- Delete any unrecognised Enterprise or Developer apps from your device. This is a rarely used, but effective way to get malicious apps onto an iPhone. You can read more about this type of hack here and here.
- As a last resort, you can always restore your iPhone to factory settings.
Once you’ve fixed your hacked iPhone, here’s how to prevent it from being hacked again in the future:
- Always update your OS
- Never jailbreak your device
- Never download apps from outside the official App Store
- Always use a strong passcode to unlock your phone
- Keep your apps up to date
- Use two-factor authentication with your Apple ID – some hackers may target your iCloud account if your device is setup to backup to the cloud. More information here.
Once you’re sure that you’ve removed all the spyware from your phone, whether Android or iOS, it’s a good idea to go through your accounts and change the passwords on your most important and crucial accounts to ensure that you’re not at risk in the future.