If you’ve noticed some strange behavior from your phone and you’re worried that it may be hacked, you’re in the right place. Read on and we’ll walk you through everything you need to know about phone hacking, including how to unhack your device.
Table of contents
What You Need to Know about Phone Hacking
Your mobile device behaving differently than it normally would is often a tell-tale sign that your phone has been hacked. Here are some common things to watch out for:
- Device slowing down or crashing – If your phone runs abnormally slowly, or if you’ve had a problem with the device crashing completely, this could be a sign that malicious software is ‘stealing’ processing power from the normal functions of the phone.
- Overheating – As above, overheating and slow performance usually go hand in hand. If your device has been hacked, you may notice an increase in the temperature of your phone as it’s being made to work harder than normal.
- Phone loses charge quickly – Another sign of phone hacking is the battery running down much quicker than normal. This is because it may be using more processing power to function.
- High data usage – If you’re using up all of your data but you’re not sure how it happened, this could be a sign of phone hacking. Malicious apps use lots of data to send your private information to hackers.
- Strange sounds during calls – This is less common, but if you’ve noticed strange sounds during a phone call, this could be a sign that someone is listening in on your conversations and maybe even recording them.
If you’ve noticed some of these signs, then it’s certainly possible that your phone is hacked. However, they could also be common traits of an older device, or merely symptoms of a technical issue. Therefore, the best thing to do at this stage is to perform a scan of your device to confirm your suspicions.
Need to fix a hacked phone?
Certo's award-winning apps can quickly identify threats on your device and help you remove them with ease.
Get your privacy back
Download one of Certo's award-winning apps today and uncover spyware and other cyber threats on your phone.
How to Prevent Phone Hacking
Prevention is better than cure, and there are a number of ways you can stop your phone from getting hacked in the future.
Here are a few of our top tips:
- Use Certo Mobile Security for Android or Certo AntiSpy for iPhone to identify threats on your phone and get help removing them.
- Only install apps from trusted sources like the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
- Keep your phone updated with the latest version of your operating system.
- If you’re using your phone when you’re out and about, use a virtual private network (VPN) when connected to public Wi-Fi. This will help to keep your personal information private.
- Set up a lost device tracking service. If you ever lose your phone, you can use a lost device finder to trace its location and lock it so that it can’t be hacked.