The ability to monitor somebody’s phone is no longer a resource exclusive to governments and spy agencies. Nowadays anyone from a jealous partner to a prying boss can snoop on someone’s device. Spy apps such as FlexiSpy and mSpy are readily available for under $100, setup takes a matter of minutes and once installed, calls, emails, text messages and photos can be monitored.
Award-winning spyware detection
Combat spyware and other cyber threats with Certo AntiSpy, the world's leading anti-spyware tool for iPhones.
Are there physical signs to look out for?
iPhone spy apps can use a large amount of the device’s resources, resulting in physical signs that can alert you to their presence. Some things to look out for are:
- Is your iPhone getting hot when not in use?
- Is your battery running down too quickly?
- Do you find your device is using more 3G/4G data than expected?
- Is there a delay in shutting down the iPhone?
- Do you hear audio distortion or background noise when making a call?
Is your device Jailbroken?
The vast majority of iPhone spy apps require the device to be Jailbroken in order to function. Jailbreaking is the process of un-restricting an Apple mobile device so that 3rd party applications that have not been approved by Apple can be installed. Try these steps to find out if your device has been Jailbroken:
- Check the iPhone’s home-screen (and app folders) for apps called “Cydia” and “SBSettings”
- Touch anywhere above the bottom group of icons (but not on an icon) and slide down. This will bring up the Spotlight Search screen, which will allow you to search for anything on the device.
- Search for the following items: “Cydia”, “SBSettings”, “Absinthe”, “Icy” or “Installer”. If these show up in the Spotlight search, then the device would be Jailbroken.
- Another way to find out is to search for default applications in Spotlight. Default applications cannot be removed without a jailbreak, so every iOS device should return a Spotlight Search query with an entry for App Store, Calendar, Mail and Safari. The absence of these apps would indicate that a jailbreak has occurred.
- If Spotlight Search does not work on your device this could also be a sign that your device is Jailbroken.
Does your device contain hidden spy apps?
These spy apps are invisible to the user so most of the time the victim is unaware that their device is being monitored. Detecting these can be almost impossible when visually examining the device. At Certo Software we have developed an easy to use tool that can scan your iPhone or iPad for spyware in a just a few minutes.
The process to scan your iPhone or iPad with Certo AntiSpy is as follows:
- Connect your device to a computer using the USB cable
- Open Certo AntiSpy
- Click “Scan”
- After a few minutes the results of the scan will be displayed on screen
Watch the video below to see how Certo AntiSpy works